Landscaping

Friday, April 20, 2012

Painted Hardwood Floors

We are facing a small dilemma with our hardwoods. In the area we live in, most of the original hardwood flooring in older houses like ours is actually fir...which is a softwood. Which means it doesn't really perform like one would expect. We're going to polyurethane over what we've got and see what happens. A full scale sand/refinish just isn't in the cards right now, for a multitude of reasons. But here's the thing: I really love painted hardwoods. It's a pretty common sight in Texas, so I grew up with it. And it's cheap and easy. The results last, it's easy care and it really keeps the wood from deteriorating. If we weren't ultimately planning to sell, I'd slap the glossiest white marine paint on those suckers I could find. However, I know that not everyone feels the same about painted hardwoods as I do. We posed the question to several family members, " Would you rather buy a house with perfect, painted hardwoods, or hardwoods that were really going to need a rehab?" And they rained on my marine paint parade. But I guess that's okay, there's always the next house, right? Here's some of my lovely inspiration:

I think the hardwoods really help transition an older style home into a more updated, eclectic space:

                                                                          Source: adelightfuldesign.com via Sharon on Pinterest


Love how airy these rooms look:

                                                                                       Source: alvhemmakleri.se via Jane on Pinterest



                                                                               Source: 3.bp.blogspot.com via Elizabeth on Pinterest


My fave...old house, modern furnishings:

                                                                                      Source: decor8blog.com via Grace on Pinterest


So what do you think? If you looked at a house with painted hardwoods, would it immediately be off your list? I'll share before and afters of our poly coat adventures, too. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix for a floor that could use a little love.

No comments:

Post a Comment