Landscaping

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Converting a China Hutch to a Home Bar

I've been toying with the idea of converting my grandmother's old china hutch into a home bar lately. It's had a pretty rough life and the antique value is basically nil, so I've kind of been thinking of using the leftovers from the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations kit so that it coordinates with our kitchen. I was also thinking of giving it a cool decorative glaze to keep it from being too matchey. My end goal is for it to be 1. useful and 2. modern...ish. Some ideas I'm loving right now:

I really like the functionality of this one, as well as the Craftsman hardware:

Source: houzz.com via Anaika on Pinterest



And I definitely dig the layout of this Pottery Barn model:



The glaze technique on this one really appeals to me. And the sage is almost a match for our cabinets:



A couple of ideas for the inside:



We actually considered the faux tin sheeting for our back splash, but decided it would look too busy. It's about 20 bucks a sheet, so it might be an inexpensive way to really punch up our hutch. Or, I might go really cheap and just use wall paper:



Ok, it might be a little too orange for the look I'm after, but I do like the pattern.

I'm hoping to get the base color on by the end of today and possibly even glaze by tomorrow. Anyone converted one of these before? I'd love any advice you might have!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck converting your China hutch. Your ideas look outstanding. Have fun and let us know how it turns out. Thanks for being a Rust-Oleum supporter!

    ReplyDelete